TEEN EXPERIENCE TOUR
In this new, experiential initiative, we’re combining two out of our three core pillars (education & exposure) and taking 8th-12th grade students on immersive field trips that expand their outlook, introduce them to new opportunities and careers, build confidence and teach them life skills that they can carry into adulthood.
DID YOU KNOW…
Actual suicide death rates for Black American girls ages 13 to 19 increased by 182% from 2001 to 2017, according to a 2019 study published in the Journal of Community Health.
Some research suggests that teaching kids skills like resilience and emotional regulation—equipping them with the tools required to understand, vocalize and manage their feelings—could help promote healthy coping strategies for life.
Among Black youth, depression can manifest as interpersonal or behavioral problems, low self-esteem or pessimism, rather than the low mood and lethargy typically associated with adult depression.
TIME TO TALK is a counseling initiative to pair teens with professional therapists of color completely free of charge.
Project 16 is passionate about improving the lives of teens in the Dallas/Fort Worth area through meaningful programs and educational opportunities.
As a result of the global pandemic, our focus in 2021 shifted toward providing professional counseling support and resources to help teens process their feelings and heal emotionally during this challenging time through our latest initiative, TIME TO TALK.
- Offer: Eight (8) private therapy sessions for DFW teens, delivered virtually by the Licensed Professional Counselors of Kinnect Wellness
- Sponsored by: Project 16
- Cost: Completely free of charge
- Male or female, ages of 13-17
- Live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area
- Have Internet access
- Be experiencing any of the following symptoms: racial trauma, anxiety, test and performance anxiety, school issues, depression, low self-esteem, term dating, stress, grief, friendship problems and/or family conflict
- Must provide proof of guardianship in the form of any of the following: birth certificate, custody paperwork, divorcee decree or CPS documentation
How to Apply
- Applications are closed.
- Selected applicants will be notified by email.
ABOUT PROJECT 16
Project 16 is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Dallas, Texas and founded by Jade “Lady Jade” Burrowes. Our mission is to equip and inspire youth ages 13-17 to realize the broad spectrum of educational paths and career options available to them beyond what they may see in their immediate surroundings. We also provide free mental health services to our teens by Licensed Professional Counselors of Color via Kinnect Wellness.
Through our programs and community partnerships, we seek to offer up close access, eye-opening experiences and educational tools to help children and teens aspire higher than their circumstances, and to dream big.
Project 16 Propels Students Toward Engineering at Texas A&M University
“I Am What I See” Career Day at Dan Powell Intermediate School
Project 16 Teaches Tie Tying
[spacing desktop_height=”100″ mobile_height=”60″ smobile_height=”60″]